Thursday, March 7, 2013

Homemade Paleo Chocolate Syrup

In general, I try to keep my Pinterest boards to things that I actually plan to do or bake or make. Sometimes, though, I'll pin things with the very best of intentions but then... life intervenes, I suppose, and they sit there for months on end. One of these poor, neglected pins was for homemade chocolate syrup. In fact, it's sat there for so long that, when it came time for me to give it a whirl, it was easier to just Google a recipe than go looking for that sucker. Oops.

Now, you might be wondering why, yet again, I am making something chocolate-y in the evening. And, this time, it has nothing to do with cravings and everything to do with the fact that I am out of chocolate syrup for my morning mocha. I swung by the store today to try to buy more, but all they had was Hersheys, so here I am, Google'ing chocolate syrup recipes. Or, there I was. Now? Now, I have seen the light! Homemade chocolate syrup really, truly IS simple and comprised of very few ingredients! All told, it took me under 10 minutes from the time that I decided to venture into the kitchen until the time that I sat my happy butt right back down in this chair... only, this time, I was sipping chocolate milk made with my very own homemade chocolate syrup. True story.

Since I'm all paleo'ish and all, I didn't want to dump a ton of sugar into this syrup. Also, I don't own any sugar. My choices were honey or maple syrup, but I'm running low on honey and have a full bottle of maple syrup, so I opted for the latter. I also looked at a couple of recipes, and then went with the one with the least amount of sweetener, but then added the vanilla and salt that another recipe called for. So, in the end, I'm pretty sure that there is a recipe out there that mimics this one, but I didn't actually use it. Not that it requires much of a recipe to make this amazingness, anyway.

The one caveat that I want to add to this, though, is that it definitely makes a cocoa-flavored syrup as written. I'm a fan of dark chocolate and cocoa, so I like it this way. But, if you're looking for a more milk chocolate, sweeter syrup, you will absolutely want to increase the amount of maple syrup. In fact, you might even want to double it. For reals.

Now, excuse me while I go back to my chocolate milk.

Homemade Paleo Chocolate Syrup

1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup water
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp sea salt

1. In a sauce pan, mix together the cocoa powder, water, and syrup over medium heat until it begins to gently simmer. Stir constantly, until it begins to thicken. It will rather suddenly go from very watery to more of a syrup consistency. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and sea salt. Cool, and then pour into a glass container.

All of the recipes that I read said that it will keep in a glass container in the fridge for up to four weeks. A little goes a long way (I used one spoonful in a large glass of milk), so this should satisfy your chocolate syrup needs for quite some time!

UPDATE: I tried this again and made it with an additional 1/2 cup of honey and it was amazing. Amazing! Definitely give it a try with the honey if you don't want chocolate syrup that tastes strongly of cocoa. It has a nice rich, almost buttery, flavor with the addition of the honey and is still not too sweet at all.


0 comments:

Post a Comment